HTC is expected to launch a new mobile phone with metaverse features on Tuesday, as the virtual reality (VR) gear and smartphone maker continues its Web3 expansion.
See related article: Smartphone giant Huawei doubles down on blockchain technology
- In a tweet earlier in JuneHTC’s VR and metaverse arm Viverse teased a phone-shaped graphic without disclosing additional details or specifications.
- HTC hasn’t responded to Forcast’s request for comment by press time.
- The Taiwanese consumer electronics firm has shifted its focus to VR gear production, with its latest phone release dating back to January 2021.
- Chaoying Huang, HTC’s general manager for APAC, said in March that the company intends to roll out a metaverse-related phone in 2022, clarifying HTC was not ditting the smartphone business, Taiwanese tech media Business Next reported.
- In 2017, Google bought a US$1.1 billion slice of HTC’s smartphone hardware business.
- HTC is among the early phone makers to experiment with blockchain technology.
See related article: Samsung joins South Korean pilot to test CBDC on Galaxy smartphone